Bruxism or grinding of the teeth is a very common condition, and even more so for children. Here are some of the common causes of teeth grinding:
- Stress that manifest itself while you are sleeping.
- Bodily aches and pains that cause you to tense up.
- Misaligned teeth that cause you to unconsciously force them into alignment.
- Some prescription medications have been linked to bruxism, particularly those in the antidepressant and psychiatric category.
Even if you or your child have any of the conditions listed above, you might never develop bruxism. However, if you are not sure, then you should watch for and be aware of any of the following symptoms that are commonly associated with bruxism or teeth grinding:
- Headaches in the morning that are mostly felt in the temples.
- Sore jaw and facial muscles.
- Increased tooth sensitivity and loss of tooth enamel.
- Flat, loose, or chipped teeth.
While teeth grinding can lead to dental problems, it is a completely treatable condition, and most children will eventually outgrow the condition.
Nightguards & Mouthguards
For those who do not outgrow teeth grinding and for those who have developed dental problems due to teeth grinding, there are treatment options. At Kid City Smiles, we might recommend a night guard or mouthguard to help stop you from grinding your teeth while sleeping.
In the treatment of teeth grinding, the purpose of a nightguard or mouthguard is to keep you from clenching your jaw close while you are sleeping. The nightguard and mouthguard actually guard your teeth against each other by preventing them from grinding together.
If you think you or your child has a teeth-grinding problem, then give us a call to schedule an appointment. We will do a thorough evaluation to determine if the problem really is teeth grinding, and if it is, we will recommend the best treatment option!