At Kid City Smiles, we believe that preventative dentistry comes in two parts. One part is good dental hygiene habits practiced at home, and the other part is routine professional dental care.
Dental Hygiene Habits
There are several things to keep in mind when practicing good dental hygiene habits at home:
- Regular tooth brushing twice each day.
- Regular flossing at least once each day.
- Use a mouthwash to kill bacteria and to freshen the breath.
- Eat a balanced diet with raw vegetables and fruit, and avoid sugary snacks.
It is also important to protect your teeth from possible injury, so if you or your child plays sports, we can provide custom-made mouthguards for added protection.
Professional Dental Care
Even if you are diligent in your oral hygiene habits, there are still some dental hygiene routines that have to be done by an experienced dental professional. Here are a few dental hygiene routines that can only be efficiently performed in a dental office by trained dental professionals:
- Examinations for cavities and other signs of tooth decay.
- Examinations for periodontal disease or gingivitis.
- Deep cleaning of the teeth below the gums.
- The application of fluoride to strengthen the teeth.
- The application of tooth sealant to seal deep groves, and help prevent tooth decay.
It is important to add dental appointments to yours and your child’s dental hygiene routine because it will be your second line of defense against tooth decay and gum disease.
Together, consistent at-home dental hygiene habits and consistent dental appointments will help you to keep you and your child in good dental health.
We want you and your child to have the oral hygiene health that you deserve, so give us a call at Kid City Smiles. When you schedule yours and your child’s next dental appointment with us, we will provide you with excellent dental care!